With the wind, rain and number of frosts increasing any remaining leaves are now falling rapidly, so a final few weeks’ effort raking them up is required. Tender plants must be protected from the adverse weather by either moving them or wrapping them with some insulating material in some way. Wildlife will be preparing for Winter and you can help by stocking up with bird food to be used as and when necessary
- Continue raking up the fallen leaves, resulting in lawns, ponds and beds being as clear as possible.
- Reposition containers to minimise the potential for water logging.
- Plant tulip bulbs.
- Prune roses.
- Plant out winter bedding plants in order to provide some colour during the dark months of Winter.
- Net brassica plants to prevent pigeon damage.
- Insulate outdoor containers, possibly using bubble wrap, to prevent frost damage.
- Start feeding the birds on a regular basis.